Post by trainsintheattic on Oct 4, 2020 17:11:19 GMT
Briefly, this little darlin' was purchased from Tom (4dogsinjersey) a few months ago. With ambition high I immediately got to work figuring out how to shoehorn ERR cruise into her. I had progressed only a few days worth of work, as far as what I will describe here today, before getting distracted with other stuff.
I am now primed to resume the installation by again re-familiarizing myself with previous progress and figuring out how to proceed. Work starts again tomorrow.
Here's the pride and joy of the ladder tracks.
Beginning with the addition of coil couplers once the engine was disassembled. The couplers are those sourced from ERR. To adapt them onto the chassis took a bit of sheet brass bending and drilling to fabricate pivot plates able to retain the coupler centering action. The couplers protrude from the pilots too much for my liking but I didn't have the patience, and still don't, to correct the issue. I have bigger fish to fry, as they say.
Here's the first fish....adapting what ERR offerings they currently sell so that they fit within the shell of the docksider. Since ERR no longer sells the Mini Cruise Commander, squeezing all the bells and whistles into shifters becomes a problem. A regular CC kit was just too large to fit within the cab and removing the huge weight inside the boiler to fit it there was out of the question. On the left is it's original reverse unit. On the right the mounting of a Cruise Commander M board together with an R4LC using styrene and double sided foam tape. Wiring from the appropriate pinouts to be used remain unconnected at their opposite ends. This is the preliminary step to fabricating the wiring harness needed where a motherboard doesn't exist.
Working with a pinout schematic of the R2 / R4LC I soldered leads to a double ganged male plug, compatible in number with the female side of the R4LC. Where wires between the 2 boards are connected I color coded them to simplify latter stages.
Of course, all this effort is for nothing if the assembly doesn't fit within the shell. Trial fittings are a constant and will continue as leads begin being connected to the chassis, motor, etc. Fortunately the harness doesn't need to have the flexibility of the usual tether found on engines with separate tenders.
This is where I paused before and now that I have cleared other matters I am prepared to begin again tomorrow. By the way, I am foregoing the addition of sounds to my docksider for now, but am working to accommodate that feature at some later date.